Sex Offender Registry
To be classified as a Sex Offender, the offender must be convicted of a crime that is by its nature a sexual offense, such as:
· O.C.G.A. 16-6-1 Rape
· O.C.G.A. 16-6-2 Sodomy(against a minor); Aggravated Sodomy(against a minor or an adult)
· O.C.G.A. 16-6-3 Statutory Rape(unless the age of the perpetrator is 18 years of age or younger)
· O.C.G.A. 16-6-4 Child Molestation; Aggravated Child Molestation
· O.C.G.A. 16-6-5 Enticing a child for indecent purposes
· O.C.G.A. 16-6-22.2 Aggravated Sexual Battery
In relation to crimes where the victim is a minor, O.C.G.A. 42-1-12 includes the following offenses under (a)(4)(A):
· Kidnapping of a minor, except by a parent
· False imprisonment of a minor except by a parent
· Criminal sexual contact toward a minor
· Solicitation of a minor to engage in sexual contact
· Use of a minor in sexual performance
· Solicitation of a minor to practice prostitution
· Any conduct that by its nature is a sexual offense against a minor
In order for an offender to qualify for registration in the state of Georgia, the offender must either be released from prison or placed on probation, parole or supervised release after July 1, 1996.
If an offender who is registered in another state moves to Georgia, the offender is required to register in the state of Georgia.
O.C.G.A. 42-1-12 (i)(3) states “the Georgia Bureau of Investigation or any sheriff maintaining records required under this code section shall release relevant information collected under this code section that is necessary to protect the public.” However, due to the fact this information is continually changing, the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Office makes no expressed or implied guarantee concerning the accuracy of this information.Georgia Law mandates that a list of persons adjudicated of certain sex offenses and residing in the State are required to register with the Sheriff of the County in which they reside. This law further states that the Sheriff of each county maintain a webpage listing the sex offenders residing in their county. The list is updated periodically and every effort is made to ensure the information is correct. This list only includes those persons residing within Wilkes County, GA. To view a list of the registered sex offenders in Wilkes County, click on the link below.
State of Georgia Sex Offender Registry